Each year, The Hydrographic Society of America – Houston Chapter (THSOA – HC) offers student scholarships for the ensuing academic school year(s).
The scholarships are available to full-time students who are currently enrolled in a degree programs related to such subjects as Hydrographic and/or Geophysical Survey, Geomatic/Geodetic Engineering, Ocean Sciences, Survey or Systems Engineering, Electronics, Software Development, or Geographic Information Sciences (GIS) and that can demonstrate an interest in marine or offshore survey, mapping or survey and positioning in-line with the above subjects. The student(s) must have a current GPA 3.0 or higher to qualify, and cannot be related to any serving officer
of the THSOA - HC.
Students wishing to apply must complete and submit the THSOA – HC scholarship application
. Applications will be reviewed by the Membership & Student Liaison Officer for THSOA – HC and forwarded with a recommendation to the full committee. The recipient(s) of the two scholarships are chosen by mutual agreement of the designated board members.
These awards are conducted in accordance with all University rules, regulations, ethical criteria, and equal opportunity guidelines. The society typically distributes scholarship checks to qualifying students at the annual Holiday Party typically held in early December of each year.
The deadline to submit scholarship applications is October 31 of each year.
The Scholarship Award will be based on the following criteria:
- The scholarship is available to any full-time first-year, second-year or later students who are currently enrolled in a Hydrographic and/or Geophysical Survey, Geomatic/Geodetic Engineering, Ocean Sciences, Survey or Systems Engineering, Electronics, Software Development, or Geographic Information Sciences (GIS) and that can demonstrate an interest in marine or offshore survey, mapping or survey and positioning in-line with the above subjects.
- Applicants must be currently resident in Texas or plan on attending a college in Texas.
- First-year students who qualify will receive a $500 scholarship award for the first year and will be given preference in future scholarship applications from the THSOA - Houston Chapter.
- Second-year and higher students who qualify will receive a $1,000 (or greater) scholarship award.
- Second-year and higher students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- The student must complete an application form and a short essay (no more than 2000 words) that describes the student’s interest in offshore surveying, positioning or mapping.
- All applications must be accompanied by a recommendation from a member of the high school or college faculty.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Membership/Student Liaison Committee Member for the Houston Chapter of the THSOA and forwarded with a recommendation to the full committee.
- The Chapter would encourage scholarship awardees to give a brief presentation (5 - 10 minutes) at a Houston Chapter meeting at a mutually convenient date. The student would be expected to outline their career interest in ocean sciences, hydrographic surveying, offshore mapping or positioning.
- Previous scholarship winners are disqualified and should not submit an application.
- Faculty review and recommendation
- Membership/Student Liaison Officer review and recommendation
- THSOA – Houston Chapter Committee review and recommendation